Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Wedding - English style

As such things happen- I'm again a bit late. It's been almost 3 weeks since Natalija & Dan's wedding, and I promised I'd write something about it two weeks ago. Well, here it is. Better late than never I always say. ;-)
Let me start by saying I don't generally like weddings. Saying "I do" in front of a minister and huge crowd of people- half of which you don't even know, and signing a paper doesn't make relationship any stronger. If relationship is bound to fail it is going to fail anyway. And if it is bound to last it's gonna last. I always perceived wedding as a show and big party for relatives. Sure- if you're traditionalist and you like such things it's OK. If not, and you're doing it just to make parents happy- don't do it. It's not the end of the world, and nobody's going to die if it doesn't happen. ;-)
Natalija & Dan's wedding was event I really enjoyed though. One was able to see, these two were having fun, they invited close friends and family and took great care in organizing it. And they really care about each other. There was a protocol as it was still a wedding, but everything went so smooth and without unnecessary stress and anxiety. Like a really close ceremony and dinner party among friends. I even loved church ceremony- it was short, and for the types of weddings I'm familiar with- really unorthodox- among prayers and hymns English translation of Slovene love song and Apache wedding wows were read. Even priest helped by chasing any possible stress with making funny faces. ;-)
The reception afterwards was also memorable- great speeches, loads of emotions, great band, and afterwards great party. It was really easy to fit in, and catch up with people you haven't seen a long time, and meet new people.
What I didn't like was the closing time. ;-) At midnight music stopped& we had to leave. Back home the party would last till early morning and even a bit longer. You can't have everything though. As our flight was due in the morning I was able to catch at least some sleep, although we did some extra drinking at the hotel.
What else to say at the end but - I wish a long and happy marriage to Natalija and Dan.

No comments: