Monday, April 23, 2007

Smithwicks

First time I travelled to Ireland, in 1997, at least at first I didn't acquire a taste for Guinness. As I was one of those people who drank exclusively lagers before, it had a taste I've had to get accustomed to. For a first time stout drinker the pint tastes really bitter, and (even stranger) flat. And every lager drinker would tell you flat is bad. :-) But anyway- on that trip I got a chance to browse through lager and ale beers you can get in Ireland. There were many foreign brands brewed under licence- like Carlsberg, or (American) Budweiser. Ireland has only one major lager brand- Harp brewed by Guinness. It was so/so, but the true discovery of that trip was wonderfull world of Irish ales. The beer I got REALLY fond of was Smithwicks, which is brewed in Kilkenny. It has a great taste, and I'd recommend it to anyone travelling to Ireland (who wants to taste something else but Guinness).
Now the bad thing is, it isn't exported to Slovenia. As aren't many other things, but what we get is an Irish ale called Kilkenny. Which isn't that bad actually- it is a bit smoother, and has creamier head- like Guinness.
Anyway- if you go to Ireland- try it, you won't be sorry. Even if you acquire a taste for Guinness at some stage. As I did. :-)

2 comments:

RoBi said...

Ahhh if I remember my first Guinness when you were explaining how to put the tongue and I was still: "Ewwww" hehe The times they are changin'
It's true that I have quite a collection of beers pretty close now. Still not in walking distance though, unless you want to walk for an hour or like in old Molson comercial. Well... weren't you planning some trips anyway? Wasn't there a saying "If beer doesn't come to Mohamed, Mohamed has to..." or maybe it wasn't ;)
Good comercial too, although I think kids soon won't know anymore who Scilacci(not sure about spelling) was...

Primvs said...

Yeah, I know, might do just that. I just wish there was direct flight anywhere nearer but Pula... So Mohamed could come to Dublin a bit cheaper and faster. ;-)